Are you tired of hiding your teeth every time you smile? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a big, bright, beautiful smile? Teeth Whitening will safely lighten the color of the teeth, reduce discoloration and staining and give you a brighter smile. The term "teeth whitening" can refer to a number of techniques to improve the brightness of the patient's teeth.
Home bleaching solutions are products that contain peroxide that bleaches the tooth enamel. These whitening products typically rely on percentages of carbamide peroxide as the bleaching agent that comes in several different concentrations. Peroxide-containing tooth bleaching kits typically come in a gel and are placed in a mouthguard.
There are 2 types of the home bleaching.
1. Over-the-counter (OTC) Whitening Kits involves a whitening bleaching gel with a concentration lower than that of the professionally dispensed take-home whiteners that is applied to the teeth via one-size-fits-all trays, whitening strips or paint-on applicators. In many cases this may only whiten a few of the front teeth unlike custom trays that can whiten the entire front smile.
2. Professionally Dispensed Take-Home Whitening Kits are done at your tooth whitening dentist's office. Your tooth whitening dentists takes an impression in having a custom-fitted tooth bleaching mouth guard that fit your teeth much more precisely. Additionally, the concentration of this whitening option is much higher than the OTC one so it can work more effectively.
Opalescence by Ultradent / USA was the first ADA accepted, syringe delivered, take-home bleaching gel. The patented formula has unique sticky and adhesive properties, which produce teeth whitening results in 1-2 weeks
Previous to the Opalescence home bleaching gel, home bleaching was tedious and time consuming, with varying levels of patient acceptance. The active ingredient in Opalescence teeth whitening gel is carbamide peroxide. Opalescence PF carbamide peroxide based gels come in strengths of 10%, 15%, and 20%.
The safety and effectiveness of Opalescence home bleaching gel is unsurpassed. This teeth whitening system is recommended for discolored teeth prior to placement of composite, veneers, crowns or bridges as porcelain and other restorative materials will not whiten.
Unlike other home bleaching gels, the Opalescence is a sticky formula that does not leak from the home bleaching tray . Patients experience teeth whitening results quickly which leads to high treatment compliance. A university study proved that the Opalescence home bleaching gel can be active for 8-10 hours for overnight home bleaching.
The Opalescence home bleaching gel has an estimated shelf life of 18 months if kept refrigerated and 12 months un-refrigerated.
The key to success
Take home bleaching starts with our dentist taking an impression of your mouth to make your own custom fitted trays. The trays are tried on to make sure they fit correctly, and our dentist gives you a solution of carbamide peroxide to use at home for a period of time.
This whitening system can be used instead of in-office laser whitening, or it may used to enhance or prolong the effects of your laser tooth whitening treatment.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Opalescence Home Bleaching
- You can control the degree of whiteness by yourself. Need more. Do more.
- This is the most economical method.
- This procedure will require two visits to our office.
- The duration of treatment will be 1-2 weeks.